Although inverted nipples (nipples that point inward rather than outward) generally do not cause health problems, inverted nipples can create challenges during breastfeeding, and many patients with this condition are unhappy with the aesthetic appearance of their breasts. Additionally, when only one nipple is inverted, the breasts may have an asymmetrical appearance. Nipple inversion can result from a number of factors, including: genetics, severe breast ptosis (breast sagging), shortening of the milk ducts and fibrous breast tissue, or a buildup of scar tissue (which often occurs after a breast biopsy).
Although non-surgical remedies (i.e. suction devices) may provide a temporary solution to the condition of inverted nipples, surgery is generally the most effective and long-lasting corrective measure. Inverted nipple surgery requires a high level of surgical precision and expertise, and should only be performed by a Board Certified plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Farbod Esmailian, whose private practice in Los Alamitos, CA serves patients in the greater Los Angeles area, including Newport Beach and Orange County. Dr. Esmailian has extensive experience performing all variations of breast surgeries, and has helped many patients enhance the appearance of their breasts with inverted nipple corrective surgery.
INVERTED NIPPLE CORRECTION PROCEDURE
There are two primary surgical techniques for correcting inverted nipples:
- Severing the milk ducts to release the nippleâwhile this procedure is effective, women will be unable to breastfeed after having this surgery performed.
- Releasing the fibers surrounding the nippleâduring this procedure, the breast fibers attached to the nipple are stretched through a small incision in the areola, pulling the nipple into the âoutward facingâ position. At this point, dissolvable sutures are placed under the skin, and a protective device is utilized to keep the nipple in the appropriate position and prevent future retraction. There is minimal scarring with this procedure, and the results are typically permanent.
CONTACT DR. ESMAILIAN
Dr. Esmailian is a double board certified plastic surgeon who focuses on providing superior patient care, and who makes it a priority to stay informed about the most cutting edge developments in the field of breast surgery. Supported by a compassionate and competent staff, Dr. Esmailian will work tirelessly to ensure that your inverted nipple surgery experience is as safe and comfortable as possible.
If you have additional questions about having your inverted nipple surgery performed by Dr. Esmailian, please contact our office today. We look forward to speaking with you, and to scheduling your initial consultation with Dr. Esmailian.
- Orange County Breast Augmentation
- Breast Lift
- Breast Reduction
- Breast Revision Surgery
- Gummy Bear Breast Implants
- Breast Lift with Augmentation
- Inverted Nipple Correction
- Breast Reconstruction
- Gynecomastia Treatment
- Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implant Options
- Common Breast Implant Problems
- Nipple & Areola Reduction